In terms of productivity this past year has been the worst. But I’ve improved in all other areas nonetheless. I could only imagine how much stronger I could have been if I’d used all the time I procrastinated.
But anyway, here we are. And I’m starting my new year at school this coming Monday. I would say I’m excited, like I usually am, but this time it’s different. May be because of the anxiety part. But other than that I’m looking forward to these two years at my school. Last two years of high school.
This blog post is more for myself, to tell myself to unfuck my life and get my chill on a holiday so that I can focus. But I’m sure it’s still relatable.
I have this addiction to internet, even if I have nothing to do that requires internet, plus have heaps of work, I still want to know what screen looks like and it’s unmarked and very harmful but it’s a problem and only small habitual steps will make my day get better at it. So to my future self: you better put that iPad away, far away in the cupboard or the desk, or in another room. Get your journal and books out. And start getting your shit together.
Set your priorities straight. Write down your goals. Make a plan. Work hard, work harder. Conquer the world.
Follow the ‘touch it once’ method. Whenever something is given to you, a work task, an exam date, a project or a reading. Start doing it then and there, right that day. Just start it and try to do more than half of it. May be you’ll finish it in a couple of days, or that day it self. Just do it.
These two years for me is the time to be a fucking savage. Make moves. Accomplish your goals and stunt so hard on everybody who has ever doubted you.
Once you know how it feels to let yourself down, how it feels to let down that one person for whom you’d want to move mountains, that moment of utter fierceness in you will bring out the best in you in the future. That moment, that eureka moment will make you work and work and work harder than you’ve before but may be some people don’t need to let others down. I did. And I’m telling you it’s not a delightful thing to experience.
In this one week I’ll see the faces of more people whom I’ve let down. Faces of people who were expecting so much from me but they didn’t get it. I’ll see them this week. I am anxious. Very. But I’ll get through it.
I will make sure that I don’t get demotivated or unproductive. I’ll make sure than I move the fucking kingdoms (of knowledge) every day. I’ll make sure I’m on path. And you should too.
Some one line motivations and tips for ya:
- Focusing, and not multitasking, will change your life. Multitasking only gives you an illusion of productivity, but you’re at a loss at the end of the session.
- Dreams mean effort.
- If it’s hard for you to wake up early, tell yourself you want to watch the sun rise everyday. It helped me.
- Plan lists and to-do lists.
- Social media while studying is still social media.
- Pay attention when anyone is talking.
- Go outside often, there was a time when people didn’t get to go outside and they’d kill, literally, to go and get the pure air.
- Write down a small goal in first person, which isn’t true yet, for example “I know everything about the start of the Indian Renaissance” and work and work till that sentence is true.
- Remember, you’re not where you want to be, but at least you’re not where you used to be.
Good luck to everyone trying to stay motivated and productive.
Here’s a wallpaper for motivation, which I designed and photographed; and I use it almost everywhere: